WhatsApp is one of the most popular and widely used instant messaging application in the world, we all know that. Before some time WhatsApp introduced end-to-end encryption feature which allows users to send message directly to a person, and that can’t be tracked or read by anyone in between. Following the same, recently WhatsApp introduced another security feature called two-step verification. This feature is being used by Google, Microsoft, Facebook and many more companies from a long time and now you can enable two-step verification in WhatsApp for Android, iPhone and Windows to make it more secure. The main benefit of this feature is that once you have registered your WhatsApp account, then you will have to enter your passcode every time you will use associated phone number.
“If you receive an email to disable two-step verification, but did not request this, do not click on the link. Someone could be attempting to verify your phone number on WhatsApp,” the company added.
If you are serious about your WhatsApp security, then you should enable two-step verification for WhatsApp right now. Unlike other websites, WhatsApp doesn’t generate verification code itself, so you will have to manually choose and enter your two-step verification code. Here in this post we are going to tell you about how to set up two-step verification for WhatsApp Android, iOS and Windows Phone devices.
How to activate whatsapp two step verification
How To Enable Two-Step Verification On WhatsApp For Android
WhatsApp for Android have also got two-step verification update and you can easily enable or disable this option from the settings and account menu of your WhatsApp.So if you are searching for method to enable or disable two-step verification on WhatsApp Android, then you can follow the steps mentioned below.
- First of all click on three dots (options) button from the upper right corner of the screen.
- Once you are on the settings page, click on Account.
- Now you will be taken to account settings page where you can see two-step verification option. Tap on it to configure.
- Now by default this option is disabled, just click on Enable button.
- Now you will be asked to enter a 6-digit passcode for your account. Once entered it, it will ask you to enter it again for confirmation.
- Now you will be asked for an email which can be used as a recovery email address in case you forget the passcode. Enter your email, enter it again for confirmation.
- Now your two-step verification WhatsApp Android will be turned on, and you can disable it from the same settings page.
Set-up WhatsApp Two-Step Verification On iPhone (iOS)
- First of all open WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Now visit the Settings tab from the bottom right corner of the screen and then click on Account.
- Now there will be multiple account settings options available, click on Two-Step Verification.
- By default this option will be disabled, to enable it, click on Enable.
- Now WhatsApp will ask you to enter a six-digit passcode which will work just like a password for your account. Do remember the code you have entered because you will have to enter this code when you will register your number on WhatsApp on other device.
- It will ask you to confirm the passcode for your account by entering the same passcode again.
- An optional email can also be added in the next step to add another layer of security to your WhatsApp account while enabling two-step verification for WhatsApp. If you don’t want to enter any email, just click on Skip.
- If you have entered an email, then it will ask you to enter it again to successfully add it to your account, enter it and click on Done.
- Once done, WhatsApp two-step verification will be enabled on your number.
Activate Two-Step Verification On WhatsApp Windows Phone
WhatsApp for iPhone, Android and Windows Phone is not same. They have features which are quite different from each other. Similarly two step-verification and storage information update have been rolled out for WhatsApp Beta on Windows Phone. You can enable two-step verification on WhatsApp for Windows Phone by following steps mentioned below.
- First of all you will need WhatsApp Beta for Windows Phone if you want to enjoy this feature.
- According to WhatsApp, latest update version of WhatsApp Beta is 2.16.280.
- Once downloaded, or updated open WhatsApp and go to Settings menu.
- You will find Two-Step Verification option there, click on it.
- By default this option will be disabled, so click on Enable to start using this feature.
- Now you will be asked to enter 6 digit passcode, enter anything you like, but do remember the code you are entering.
- WhatsApp will ask you to enter that code again, just to verify. Once done, two-step verification for WhatsApp on Windows Phones will be enabled.
Do note that this two-step verification for Windows Phone is available only in version 2.16.280 of the WhatsApp beta. Soon this feature will be available in release version of WhatsApp for Windows Phones too.
Though two-step verification for WhatsApp is an optional feature, but you should enable it as it adds more security to your account.By following the steps mentioned above you can easily set-up WhatsApp two-step verification feature. Though users are intended to create their own verification code, it is necessary for one to keep safe from others and from being lost. Another good thing about WhatsApp two-step verification is that it allows you to add email address for account recovery in case you lost your code. If you know more about how to enable WhatsApp two-step verification feature, then do let us know about them via comments below.